Tuesday 17 July 2012

A New Year's Eve Party



Okay, so straight off the bat I have to own up to a little personal bias about this entry By Mrs. Roseann Johnston, state winner for Tasmania. I'm a fellow Tassie girl, so everything she says must be pure genius ;)

Being keen sailors Roseann's party is set early in the evening, prior to going to their yacht clubs ball and then making their way to the pier at midnight in order to watch the end of the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race. So their dinner is very formal, given that everyone is dressed for the ball. I can't help but be drawn to the romanticism of ball gowns, an elegant meal, cocktails and then dancing. Their are so few opportunities to truly dress up now. And I love clothes, and dressing up. Its something I never really out grew.

Roseann recommends wearing a pretty apron to protect your gown while in the kitchen-but this is to be wworn in the kitchen only. It's such a different mindset, everything must be up to appearances-even those things that none of your guests will see. I love it though, pretty things brighten up my day. 

She also recommends a list on the day of the dinner party to keep yourself on track and provides her list as an example.  Her list makes me want to have a panic attack.  Her morning list alone has 11 items - including an appointment to get her hair set!  She must get up at the crack of dawn. She would be disgusted with my house keeping skills (or lack thereof) I'm sure.  Reading through her to do list makes me tired and removes some of the rose tint from my pre ball dinner party glasses.

Onto the food. The menu for their new years eve party begins with a soup course - consommé (from a can). Can you even buy canned consommé any more?.. . The fish course is Crayfish d'Entrecasteaux, followed by flaming orange fillet, jacket potatoes and asparagus for mains. Dessert is Hazelnut cake with Raspberries and Ice Cream followed b cheese and biscuits and coffee and liquers. After consuming all that food you would definitely need to dance it all off.

I'd love to try her ice cream recipe. I might hit the stores this week to give it ago.

Ice Cream

1 14 oz can evaporated milk
2 level teaspoons gelatine
6 level tablespoons of castor sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Thoroughly chill the evaporated milk. Soften gelatine in a little water and dissolve over boiling water.  Whip milk at high speed until doubled in volume. Gradually add the sugar, vanilla and dissolved gelatine. Pour into trays and freeze.

I'll let you know how it goes! If you make the recipe I'd love to hear all about it! 





No comments:

Post a Comment