Sunday 9 September 2012

My little red

A friend of mines little girl turned 6 this week and we were invited to her "a little bit spooky" party. At first I thought "yay for dress ups", closely followed by "aw crap, I'm gonna have to make something"

Little Red Riding Hood has been one of my favourite fairy tales since I was a little girl. So I took the opportunity of a dress up party and ran with it, plus there were enough characters for our family - Little Red Riding Hood, The Wolf and Grandma. Yes I was Grandma - hot rollers, nighty, cardy and all. And not one piece of photographic evidence exists to prove it!


I picked up this floor length velvet skirt at an oppie for half price. A grand total of $4. So oppie prices really get to me. $8 for this piece of atrociousness, I cant even remember a time when floor length velvet skirts were "in". *rant over*


It makes a much prettier cape then it ever did a skirt. The model is pretty stinking cute too! The dress was a gift from my Aunty and completed the outfit nicely.


I didn't use a pattern, just winged it - sewing on a hope and a prayer. I also had to reign myself in, I kept thinking about adding a lining and then sewing lace around the edge. I had to keep reminding myself that it will just be going in the dress up box when its done!


In true me fashion I made it up as I went along - I drafted my own hood, which could have been a bit fuller. But all in all I'm pretty impressed with it. Sewing with such slippery fabric is a pain in the a,*** I really want to get me a walking foot. Which is why I took the easy way out and finished the edges with a rolled hem.  I thank the gumtree gods regularily for my $50 Hobbylocker! I used the hem of the skirt for the hood, so it didn't need any finishing!


One thing I like about blogging is that has lead to me taking even more photos then I did before. I also think more about angles, lighting etc. Gradually I'm seeing an improvement in the pictures I'm taking. Having a cooperative model also helps - she picked this bloom up off the ground, which made for some cute shots. The wind made things a bit tricky though - it's been blowing a gale in Tassie, trampolines flying around everywhere - made it difficult to see what I was doing - which means my shadow appears a bit more regularly then I'd like!

No comments:

Post a Comment