Saturday, 28 June 2014

Sewing along

It's been forever since I posted. There's a whole bunch of reasons for this, but you don't need to hear my excuses. I am hoping to start posting more regularly, but..... no promises.

I just wanted to share some items I made for Mend & Make New's handmade kids sewing swap. I have been wanting to participate in a sewing swap for a while, and finally screwed up a bit of courage and instantly joined up when I saw info about this one. I set a couple of little goals for myself to try sewing techniques that I've never done before, because I love learning new things and my sewing had been in a bit of a rut lately. 

Initially I was going to use piping on all the things, but my sewing machine and I were having a falling out (something about it being unimpressed with the copious amounts of wool I'd been forcing through it and fluffing it up with) so I changed my plans. I didn't want to send off something that was dodgy, and luckily the size I was assigned is the same as Layla so I can still finish the project and have someone to wear it! So I scrambled up a new design, and got stuck into it. 

In the end I created this little cape and dress combo for my sew along partner. She requested winter clothes and said they liked florals and I really hope this fit the bill (little nervous!)

The dress is The Sally Dress by Very Shannon. I sewed up a the 3/4 sleeve version in a 3t. The bodices is chambray and the skirt is from a vintage sheet I recently thrifted. To see more of my thrift scores follow me on Instagram @lalalovevintage or search #oppieadventures2014. You can follow my sewing on Instagram by searching #lllvsews. I omitted the pockets because I didn't have enough chambray. Its a terrible world in which its possible to run out of chambray. 

Too make sure I ticked the 'try something new' box I experimented with a double stitching detail on the hem and sleeves. I also used an aqua thread, because there aint no point doing pretty top stitching if you cant even see it! I also used french seams when sewing the skirt. This means that there are no exposed seams in this dress. I think I'll be using french seams much more regularly. The Sally Dress is such a quick and nice sew. It may be my complete inability to figure out american pattern sizing, but I always seem to mess up. Because the dress has no closures its not very forgiving if you sew the wrong size. It will turn into one of those dresses you have to wrestle on and off your kid, which means they will refuse to wear it, ask me how I know that : /

The cape is a sz 3 and is sewn from the sweetest vintage pattern I picked up for 10c. I used a grey wool blanket that I thrifted and the same vintage fabric from the dress. The buttons are 23cm self cover buttons from Jackobindi, that I covered in chambray scraps. The pattern originally calls for a neck tie closure, but I really wanted to change that up. I used a piece of piping cord (at least it came in useful for one part of the project) to create the button loop. 

The back seam of the  cape has a sweet little stitching detail. Its one of the more decorative stitches on my very basic sewing machine and I used the same aqua thread from The Sally Dress to make it pop. It is one of my most favourite details.

I really hope my swap partner likes them!! I know that capes aren't the most practical piece of clothing in the world, but they are just so stinking sweet!! I also hope they fit!! I haven't heard from my swap partner as they're still winging their way to NZ. I didn't provide my blog details when I signed up, so at least I wont be spoiling the surprise! Fingers crossed xx

1 comment:

  1. Love it! I know who your partner is, and I know they will LOVE it! Thanks for joining up with the swap and for posting a link to the linky :) Love your makings :)